What was once considered the “resume-builder” of social networking sites has now come to pass with its Company Pages feature and stronger Groups offering. Armed with this, brands have the ability to build a community of strong advocates through awareness, recommendations, and referrals that are purely based on shared industries and/or interests, including meetings management.
LinkedIn has now been around for 10 years and takes third place as top social media platform with 238 million users in over 200 countries, behind Facebook (1 billion), and Twitter (over 500 million). 
The power of LinkedIn Groups should not be underestimated as there are currently 1.5 million.  Being in more groups gives users more visibility and ability to search for others, which is something many users are not aware of. With over 148 industries represented worldwide, LinkedIn not only has the ability to bring professional connections closer together online, but it can increase the networking effectiveness of face-to-face interactions as well.
Today, there are over 4,000 meeting industry related groups on LinkedIn. Of those, I found these to have the largest following and most active discussions:
- Event Planning & Event Management – the 1st Group for Event Professionals – 140,724 members
- Event Peeps: For Live Event Industry Professionals – 86,221 members
- Who’s Who in Events – 67,609 members
- Event Planners and Coordinators – 46, 153 members
- BizBash – Event Planners Gather – 38,299 members
- Event Managers – 37,110 members
- MPI’s Meeting & Event Discussion Group – 18,745 members
- Event Planning Professionals – 18,244 members
- Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) – 14,426 members
- Social Media and Event Technology for Event Planners and Meeting Planners – 13,453 members
The most successful groups focus on gaining members with common goals and are managed very well. LinkedIn is a great way to take potential client relationships to the next level. In addition to improving your personal profile, participating in relevant LinkedIn Groups gives members a reason to follow you and your organization.
For more meetings management tools and social media tips, follow our LinkedIn Company Page!